Wanted to travel with your pet but worried how to go about it? Thankfully Nimisha (instagram @pawpurr.tales) has detailed the solution through her own personal experience.
1. Indian railways only allow pets in first class. A minimum of 2 tickets need to be booked for the same.
2. Once you have your first class tickets confirmed, make sure to have your dogs vaccinations updated.
3. A fit to travel certificate needs to be signed and collected from a vet 24-48 hours before travel
4. One day before the journey, visit the station you will be boarding from and submit a letter to the station master requesting for a 2 people coupe (or 4 if you have booked 4 tickets)
5. You will need to keep an extra copy of your dogs vaccination papers, fit to travel certificate, a picture of your dog, your booked tickets along with your identity proof
6. On the day of travel, reach the boarding station more than 2 hours in advance for purchasing your dogs ticket from the parcel office after which I would suggest visiting the station masters office once more to ensure that you get a coupe alone with your pet to avoid any hassles with fellow passengers.
7. Get an app to know the time the train stops at each station. This would be useful to get a quick pee walk for your dogs.